On the first day back to school and work following Labor Day, northbound traffic was stalled on the Garden State Parkway, in the vicinity of Holmdel, around 8:30 a.m. Delays went back for miles.The state’s real-time traffic reporting agency, 511nj.org, said there was an accident with injuries, as well as a vehicle fire. Both occurred in the Express lanes, north of Exit 114As of 10:20 a.m., authorities estimated that the the 29-mile trip from Exit 98, Belmar, to the Raritan Toll Plaza in Woodbridge via the express lanes would take 1 hour and 13 minutes.Were you affected?
After closing over the weekend as part of it precautionary measure against the spread of the deadly Ebola virus, the Supreme Court on Monday, August 4, resumed normal activities.The High Court was among several government institutions that were temporary shut down for spraying of the entire offices and building including the entire compound of Temple of Justice.The moved intended was to ensure the safety of employees of the Judiciary Branch of the government, after an employee of that institution was believed to have been killed by the deadly Ebola virus that had claimed the over hundreds of lives, including medical practitioner in the country.At Monday’s opening Judges were seen performing their usual duties by proceeding with cases.One of such, court that was in action yesterday was the Criminal Court ‘C’.That Criminal Court was hearing the drug smuggling case involving Perry Dolo, the former presidential convoy chief and four others.They were accused of trafficking over LD$3.7million substance believed to be narcotic from neighboring Sierra Leone through the Bo Waterside crossing point into the country.The claim they denied when they were appeared before that court early last month for prosecution.It can be recalled that on July 31, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Cllr. Francis Korkpor instructed his Court’s administrator Cllr. Elizabeth J. Nelson to have all court’s activities closed pending the completion of the spraying of offices and building at the Temple of Justice.In that directive, the Chief Justice declared that“We are taking all precautionary measures in response to the deadly Ebola virus.” “In light of this,” Chief Justice Korkpor added, “the entire Temple of Justice compound will be fumigated (disinfected) beginning July 31 at 2:30 pm.”He further declared that “And will end on August 1.”In concluding, the Supreme Court stated that “normal activities will begin on Monday, August 4.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
“Love for football unites the entire world in one team, regardless of people’s language or ideology,” Putin said to thunderous cheers from the capacity crowd.Then, to the delight of the home fans, Iury Gazinsky headed Russia in front in the 12th minute after a cross from Aleksandr Golovin. Substitute Denis Cheryshev rifled home a second goal shortly before half-time.Russia, ranked a lowly 70th in the world — three places below Saudi Arabia — know victory in their first match is vital, with tougher games against Egypt and Uruguay to come.Russia is spending more than $13 billion (11 billion euros) on hosting football’s showpiece, the most important event in the country since the 1980 Moscow Summer Olympics.The buildup to the tournament has been dogged by controversy and diplomatic scandals and has shone a light on the challenges facing the country.On the day of the curtainraiser, Russia freed the main opposition figure to Putin, Alexei Navalny, from jail after he served a 30-day sentence for organising an illegal protest.But British gay rights activist Peter Tatchell was arrested for holding a one-man protest against the country’s record on gay rights, hours before kick-off.The World Cup favourites — Germany, Spain, France, Brazil — enter the fray from Friday onwards.Brazil and their superstar Neymar are seeking a sixth global crown while Germany, who won their fourth World Cup in Brazil four years ago, will be determined to draw level with the Brazilians.France boast possibly the most talented squad while Lionel Messi is desperate to make amends for Argentina’s defeat in the 2014 final.The preparations of 2010 winners Spain are in tatters after coach Julen Lopetegui was sacked just two days before their opening game on Friday against Portugal. He had angered his federation by taking the job of Real Madrid manager.Neymar, the world’s most expensive player, has recovered from a broken bone in his foot in time.Egypt’s coach said prolific striker Mohamed Salah is “almost 100 percent” to play in their opening match against Uruguay on Friday after he had intensive treatment on the shoulder injury he suffered playing for Liverpool against Real Madrid in the Champions League final.– Hearts and minds –The money lavished on the tournament will boost Putin’s already sky-high prestige at home by giving many of the 11 host cities their first facelifts in generations.Cities such as Saransk were sleepy outposts with decaying buildings until the World Cup reconstruction put them firmly in the 21st century.The tournament also offers Putin a chance to project Russia as a global player that is accepted and respected even while being at odds with the United States.He is attempting to do so despite Russia being hit by international sanctions following its invasion of Ukraine’s Crimea in 2014.Moscow’s military backing of the Syrian regime and alleged meddling in the 2016 US election on President Donald Trump’s behalf only deepened its worst rift with the West since the Cold War.Putin hopes the most-watched event on the planet provides Russia with the “soft power” needed to capture a sceptical world’s hearts and minds.– Racism and riots –Russian authorities have gone to great lengths to ensure nothing soils the country’s image.The bloody beating English fans took from nearly 200 Russian thugs at Euro 2016 in France has influenced preparations as much as any diplomatic dispute.Neo-Nazi hooligans who organise mass fights in forests and chant racist slurs at players have been a feature of Russian stadiums for years.The anti-discrimination network Fare said Russia’s football federation was making matters worse by punishing those who reacted to racist abuse “while ignoring the perpetrators”.Security services have either locked up or restricted the movements of hundreds to make sure they do nothing to tarnish Russia’s image.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Russian players celebrate their opening goal against Saudi Arabia in MoscowMOSCOW, Russia, June 14 – Russia kicked off their World Cup in style on Thursday, scoring early against Saudi Arabia in front of an ecstatic crowd in Moscow after President Vladimir Putin officially declared the tournament open.After a performance from British pop star Robbie Williams, Putin told the 80,000 crowd at the Luzhniki Stadium: “I congratulate all of you at the start of the most important championship in the world.”
And, despite seemingly improved air quality in other areas, a health threat remains, Nichols said. “It’s not an acute exposure problem where you walk out of your house and take a deep breath and immediately experience the worst effects,” she said in a conference call with reporters. “It’s long-term exposure over a day or a couple days.” Residents with serious health concerns – such as severe asthma, emphysema or heart disease – should consider leaving the smokiest areas until air quality improves, state Public Health Director Dr. Mark Horton said. Meanwhile, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health maintained a warning issued Tuesday to residents to avoid strenuous outdoor exercise. The agency also urged schools to stop outside recess and sports; the elderly and individuals with sensitive health were told to stay inside. “The whole county has been impacted even if it doesn’t look like it,” said county public health spokeswoman Rachel Tyree. The air quality district urged residents to refrain even from indoor exercise. However, Horton said exercising inside would be safe if air-conditioners were turned on and set to recirculate indoor air, a measure the district recommended generally. Valley schools said they had ordered students to stay inside for recess, on the advice of the Los Angeles County Office of Education, which sent an advisory to superintendents in the county’s 80 districts. There was some concern that children would scoop up and play with ash from the fires, said Rick de la Torre, spokesman for the county office. Outside sports activities were also cancelled at area schools, and outdoor recreational programs were called off at county parks. firstname.lastname@example.org (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2110160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! • For full fire coverage vist the Special Section. Air quality in Southern California remained unhealthy on Wednesday, and officials were not certain when conditions would improve in the wake of this week’s wildfires. Though blazes in Los Angeles County have been mostly vanquished, ash continued to fall from the sky, which was smoky in areas. “It’s pretty much unhealthy everywhere, all over the Southland. The whole San Gabriel Valley is unhealthy,” said Tina Cherry, a spokeswoman for the South Coast Air Quality Management District. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Meteorologists with the district expect smoke that has been blown out to sea to be pushed back into the region by onshore breezes in coming days, Cherry said. That will keep at a high level the concentration of particulates that have caused public health warnings from county officials. Southern California, which has the overall worst air quality in the nation, this year had its least polluted “smog season” since the agency in 1976 began monitoring Orange County and most of Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties, Cherry said. It’s unclear if the effects of the fires that began Sunday would alter that achievement, she said. The yearly smog season runs from May 1 to Oct. 31. Smoky air was worst Wednesday in San Diego County, according to state health and air quality officials. Large blazes in San Diego and Orange counties have continued to prove challenging for firefighters, while efforts to control fires in Malibu and Santa Clarita approached complete containment. Only 10 percent of the 47,000-acre Ranch Fire in Castaic was contained as of Wednesday evening. Unless weather patterns change unexpectedly, air quality in southern counties should remain dangerous until next week, according to Mary Nichols, chairwoman of the California Air Resources Board.
Story Links Live Stats The Drake University women’s golf team will head to Burlington, Iowa on Monday, Sept. 23-24 for the MVC Fall Preview at Spirit Hollow Golf Course.The Bulldogs will be competing in a field of 15 teams including Bradley, Butler, Creighton, Evansville, Green Bay, Indiana State, Illinois State, Loyola, Missouri State, Nebraska-Omaha, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, UNI and Valparaiso. The 54-hole event will take place at the par-72 Spirit Hollow Golf Course, and will be a shotgun format.Drake is coming off of a first-place finish at the Loyola Invitational thanks to a total team effort led by sophomore Haeri Lee who was named MVC Golfer of the Week for the second time in two weeks. Lee’s 54-hole total of 227 (78-74-75) was good for second place and marked her second-straight top-three finish.Following the MVC Fall Preview, the Bulldogs will travel to Omaha, Neb. for the Creighton Classic on Oct. 7-8.Print Friendly Version
Jim McGuinness has revealed that he had his mind made up to step down as Donegal manager before the All-Ireland final with Kerry. McGuinness gave his first interview since taking the decision to leave the Donegal job on RTE’s The Saturday Night Show.McGuinness spoke candidly to Brendan O’Connor about his decision to quit the Donegal job, and said the last five years was an incredible journey. McGuinness remarkably revealed that he knew he would leave his role as Donegal manager before the All-Ireland final with Kerry, regardless of the outcome of the match.However he did say that not winning the All-Ireland did make it slightly more difficult for him to walk away.McGuinness told O’Connor, “I had my mind made up before the All-Ireland final, regardless of the result, we didn’t get the ending we wanted, but it’s been an incredible journey.“I asked for a four-year term, because I thought that’s how long it would take us to win the All-Ireland, but we won it in year two, and got to the final in year four. “It’s been one of the best experiences of my life, and it’s been the most incredible journey.McGuinness revealed the decision to leave was all the more difficult because of the bond he had developed with the players over the years, and spoke affectionately about the changes that occurred to the group during their journey.“When I started out, I had one child, now I have five, where did I get the time to manage that, he joked.“We’ve become so close, I’ve seen some players start college and come out at the end of that cycle, some players have got married, some have had children, it’s been an amazing journey, and we’ve all become very close.“All the training camps, all the overnight stays in hotels, the training, it’s been intense, but we all gave it everything, absolutely everything for our county. When asked about his decision to inform the group of his decision to step down via text, McGuinness said that’s the way they operated.“Donegal’s a huge county, I wasn’t going to drag players to a hotel, to tell them something so short, but it was emotional thing to do, when I sat down to send that group text to the players.“I got texts back from the players, and there was some lovely words sent back, and that meant a lot.“We were part of an amazing journey, all of us, together, and as I said we gave it everything. McGuinness was the most successful manager in the history of Donegal GAA, landing three Ulster titles and one All-Ireland, and nearly winning a second All-Ireland crown last month.The search for his successor continues, with his former assistant Rory Gallagher the hot favourite to land the job.MCGUINNESS – “I HAD MY MIND MADE UP BEFORE THE ALL-IRELAND FINAL THAT I WAS LEAVING” was last modified: October 19th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegalGAAinterviewJim McGuinnessnewsRTESportThe Saturday Night Show
Timothy P. White, President of the University of Idaho, just issued a letter to faculty, staff and students “to articulate the University of Idaho’s position with respect to evolution: This is the only curriculum that is appropriate to be taught in our bio-physical sciences.” The Discovery Institute calls this naked viewpoint discrimination.The president’s next sentence says, “we affirm scientific principles that are testable and anchored in evidence.” Darwinism will have a hard time with that policy (see next entry). We wish Dr. White a speedy and complete recovery from his heart attack (see WorldNetDaily story).(Visited 8 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest
The Supreme Court on Friday gave a woman, who accused Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu of rape, liberty to approach the jurisdictional high court for redressal of her grievances.The apex court also left it open for authorities to provide her police protection in case she seeks security.A Bench led by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi however refused to further entertain her petition on merits. The court questioned her move to file a formal complaint against her alleged perpetrators after almost a decade.The victim claimed she was 15 years old when the alleged gangrape occurred in 2008. The woman, only identified as ‘X’ in the cause title, had moved the apex court seeking police protection. She said she was facing threat to her life and safety. Secondly, she wanted to pursue legal recourse in the national capital because of “police inaction in a gang rape case involving the present Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh.”The petitioner, who was represented by senior advocate Kapil Sibal, Krishnan Venugopal, advocates M.S. Vishnu Sankar and Sriram Parakkat, said she was even willing to undergo a narco analysis/polygraph test to ascertain her allegations.“The incident happened in 2008 and for almost 10 years you (victim) did not complain. You only do it in 2015,” Chief Justice Gogoi addressed Mr. Sibal.“The victim was from a low-income earning family. She was a minor. There was the threat and fear of losing her reputation in the society. It is the law that once a complaint is lodged, it is minimum to have a preliminary enquiry made. But so far, nobody has been willing to look into the matter,” Mr. Sibal responded.Chief Justice Gogoi questioned the victim’s version that she did not know the real identities of the perpetrators at the time of alleged incident but later identified them from photographs in the newspapers.“You say you recognised once the person came into a constitutional position?” Chief Justice Gogoi asked Mr. Sibal.Mr. Sibal said the complaint was filed in 2015, even before the person became a Chief Minister in July 2016.
Kolkata, May 19 (PTI) The new West Bengal Assembly will have a batch of greenhorns from the world of films, music and sports rubbing shoulders with seasoned politicians.Former Bengal cricket captain Laxmi Ratan Shukla has won from Howrah north seat on a Trinamool ticket by defeating his nearest rival Santosh Kumar Pathak of Congress by 26,959 votes.In the star-studded fight he also left behind BJP leader and actress Roopa Ganguly, best known for her Draupadi act in B R Chopras epic TV series Mahabharat, by around 30,000 votes.Popular Bengali singer Indranil Sen has managed to woo voters as a Trinamool leader from Chandernagore seat on a slender margin of 2114 votes.He is known for his Rabindra Sangeet albums but has also given his voice as a playback singer in many films.In south Basirhat seat, footballer Dipendu Biswas who was fielded by TMC defeated BJPs only sitting MLA Samik Bhattacharya by over 24,000 votes.The 34-year-old sportsman has in the past played both for Mohun Bagan and East Bengal football clubs.Giving them company in the world of politics will be two other stars who are now experienced in the assembly.Bengali film actress and Trinamool candidate Debasree Roy once again won from Raidighi seat by beating CPI-M veteran leader Kanti Ganguly.Sitting MLA and filmstar Chiranjeet Chakraborty retained his seat from Barasat.Former BCCI president Jagmohan Dalmiyas daughter Baishali won from Bally constituency in Howrah district on a Trinamool ticket. She defeated her nearest rival Saumendranath Bera of CPI-M by 15,403 votes.advertisementFormer investment banker Mahua Moitra, who left her lucrative job as vice-president of JP Morgan in London to join politics, won Karimpur seat in Nadia district by 15,989 votes. MORE PTI NIK MD RG