N.Korea steps up coronavirus prevention after first possible infection

first_imgTopics : North Korea introduced tougher prevention measures against the novel coronavirus on Tuesday, state media reported, after it locked down the border town of Kaesong to tackle what could be its first publicly confirmed case of the respiratory disease.Strict quarantine measures and the screening of districts were in progress, and test kits, protective clothing, and medical equipment were being rapidly supplied, the North’s KCNA state news agency said.The measures come after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un declared an emergency on Sunday after a person suspected of being infected with the virus returned from South Korea. North Korea said earlier this month it has started early clinical trial on a vaccine for the virus, but experts are skeptical.The country lacks the technology or laboratories to develop COVID-19 vaccines, said Choi Jung-hun, a former North Korean doctor who defected to the South in 2012.”North Korea wasn’t even capable of testing people just until three or four months ago,” said Choi, now a researcher at Korea University. “It is groundless for them to claim they are enrolling participants for human trials of COVID-19 vaccines.”center_img North Korea had reported testing 1,211 people for the virus as of July 16 with all returning negative results, the World Health Organization (WHO) said in a statement sent to Reuters on Monday. The report said 696 nationals were under quarantine.Primers and probes for machines capable of facilitating 1,000 tests have arrived in North Korea, WHO said. There are 15 laboratories designated to test COVID-19 in the country.North Korea has a limited healthcare system with hospitals that lack adequate electricity, medicine, and water. It has long depended on the WHO to procure drugs as sanctions against the country made imports difficult.In the past months, it received test kits and protective gear from the WHO and countries including Russia, but some of these were held up at the border because of the country’s own restrictions.last_img read more

Ripley Chamber schedules CPR class

first_imgVersailles, In. — The Ripley County Chamber of Commerce is holding an American Heart Association CPR class September 6 at the chamber office on U.S. 50 in Versailles. The class will held from 9 a.m. to noon and will cost $3. For more information please call 812-689-6654.last_img

Kipchoge, several world champions nominated for athlete of the year award

first_imgRelatedPosts Ex-IAAF boss bags two-year jail term Ex-IAAF boss, Diack faces four-year jail term Ex-IAAF boss Diack’s trial to start June 8 Eliud Kipchoge is among 11 men nominated to be crowned “Athlete of the Year’’ by athletics governing body IAAF, but German decathlon world champion Niklas Kaul missed out.The 21-year-old Kaul became the youngest title holder in the multi-sport event at the recently-concluded world championships in Doha but was not nominated.Kenya’s Kipchoge ran a non-sanctioned marathon in under two hours last weekend, and earlier in the year he retained his London marathon title.His compatriot Timothy Cheruyiot won the 1,500-metres in Doha and was short-listed, as were five world champions from the U.S.he shortlisted Americans are Donavan Brazier (800m), Christian Coleman (100m), Sam Kendricks (pole vault), Noah Lyles (200m) and Christian Taylor (triple jump).Ugandan distance runner Joshua Cheptegei, Bahamas hurdler Steven Gardiner, Swedish discus thrower Daniel Stahl and Norwegian hurdler Karsten Warholm were the other nominees.A three-way voting process, including blocks from the IAAF council, family and fans, will decide the winner.Female nominees will be revealed on Tuesday.Tags: Eliud KipchogeIAAFlast_img read more

Ming creates history as Guyana’s first F4 Champion

first_imgOverseas-based Guyanese Calvin Ming created history last evening as the first Guyanese to win the NACAM F4 Championship at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez circuit in Mexico City.In the first race of the final round last evening, the Guyanese finished fourth which was good enough to ensure that he took the championship.The Guyanese headed into this weekend’s final round with a 50 plus point difference before last evening’s race which means that he does not have to compete in the final two races today.Details of this weekend’s action will be published in tomorrow’s edition of the Guyana Chroniclelast_img

Beat writers unanimous in predicting Syracuse-Wake Forest matchup

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on February 7, 2018 at 10:24 pm Syracuse (16-8, 5-6 Atlantic Coast) welcomes Wake Forest (9-15, 2-10) to the Carrier Dome on Sunday. Syracuse is coming off its biggest win of the season, a 78-73 road triumph against Louisville in the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville, Kentucky, on Monday night. The Demon Deacons most recently lost on the road at Miami, 87-81. See how our beat writers think the matchup will play out.Matthew Gutierrez (20-4)In the Wake ofSyracuse 63, Wake Forest 62AdvertisementThis is placeholder textIn the wake of an out-of-nowhere display at Louisville, I suspect Syracuse will win this game at home. Who knows, though. SU did prove against Boston College last month that, given rest, this team comes out refreshed. With five days off between the UofL and WFU games, Syracuse’s starters rest up and play well Sunday afternoon for a close win against one of the conference’s lower-tier teams. A loss? Well, Syracuse can’t afford too many more of those. Here’s to a close, entertaining game.Sam Fortier (18-6)Wake and bakeSyracuse 69, Wake Forest 61An early Sunday game at home against the weakest opponent remaining on its schedule should be a win. It’s a momentary respite for the Orange before a brutal five-game, season-ending stretch and SU should snag this one because of its superior guard play and suffocating defense. For all the mistakes down the stretch the last time these teams played — like three-consecutive corner 3s — the Orange has matured and won’t repeat them.Tomer Langer (17-7)Wake me upSyracuse 64, Wake Forest 59The Orange has followed up its most impressive ACC win with nearly a full week off to rest. Now it gets back to its home court against a much weaker opponent. The rest should, hopefully, be enough time for Bourama Sidibe to come back healthy. Those factors should be enough to push SU over the top. Commentslast_img read more

AHS Science Olympiad Team Takes Home 3rd Place at 19th Annual Clio High School Competition

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisThe Alpena High School Science Olympiad Team competed against 30 teams from 20 schools and landed 3rd place at the 19th Annual Clio High School Competition.Saturday the Olympiad Team competed in a number of events including the towers event, and the helicopter event. Students who compete in the tournament study topics that might not be covered within their normal school curriculum. Some of the tournament activities included problem solving, hands on projects, and designs.Team coach, Melissa Doubek said the extracurricular educational program encourages her students to become future scientists, engineers and more, while building teamwork skills. Doubek said she’s very proud that her students took home 3rd place.“We were very excited about the 3rd place finish. We had so many snow days right before and it was right before the tournament so we weren’t sure if we were prepared. The kids worked hard, and they scored in all 23 events, and had respectable places as far as finishes so we ended up with that 3rd place team trophy which is very exciting.” Doubek said.The Alpena High School Science Olympiad Team will be taking on another competition on Saturday February 11th where they will compete against 40 teams from across the state.The team hopes to move on to compete in the regional competition in March.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis Tags: 19th Annual Clio High School Competition, Alpena High School, Alpena High School Olympiad Team, Regional Competition, Science CompetitionContinue ReadingPrevious “Topping Off” Ceremony Held For New TBTA BuildingNext People For Social Justice Looking To Make An Impactlast_img read more

Paris St-Germain: Zlatan Ibrahimovic wins title at sixth club

first_imgZlatan Ibrahimovic has pledged his future to Paris St-Germain after claiming a league trophy with his sixth different club at the weekend.The 1-0 win against Lyon means the 31-year-old has now won eight titles at Ajax, Inter Milan, Barcelona, AC Milan and now Paris St-Germain. Two further triumphs with Juventus in 2005 and 2006 were later stripped as punishment for a match-fixing scandal.Speaking on Sunday, the Swede vowed to add to that number with PSG next year.“I am very pleased,” he told French publication L’Equipe. “I have had a perfect start here in Paris.“I could not have dreamed of anything better. I am now going to do my best to defend the title. “I am under contract for another two years. I am a professional and I respect contracts.”Ibrahimovic has won the title in four different countries, and from 2003-04 to 2010-11 the side he played for finished top of the standings.Ibrahimovic arrived in the French capital last summer after AC Milan sold himself and Brazil international centre-back Thiago Silva to the ambitious Qatari-financed club. In a typically productive debut campaign, he has scored 27 goals in 32 Ligue 1 games. Ibrahimovic was especially pleased to have played a key role as his expensively assembled team took their first league crown since 1994.“When it is the first time, it is always fantastic,” he added. “If PSG had won last year, it would be different. “As it is, the club has been waiting for this for 19 years. I am here at the start of this wonderful story. It could not be better.”In an eventful evening for Ibrahimovic, he was further involved in a row with sporting director Leonardo as he was asked to go through an anti-doping test just after the game.“The team was celebrating,” said Ibrahimovic, “and I was there stuck like an idiot for 20 minutes.“Then I asked to go and nobody came to pick me up. For me it’s stupid situation because I wanted to celebrate with my team.”last_img read more

Dodgers tab Clayton Kershaw for sixth straight Opening Day start

first_imgDon Sutton started a team-record seven consecutive opening days from 1972-78. Fernando Valenzuela started six opening days, though not consecutively. Don Drysdale started seven, while Sandy Koufax somehow only started one.The Dodgers haven’t officially lined up their rotation beyond Kershaw, but that will probably reveal itself in the coming days. Kershaw will also be on the mound for the Dodgers’ first Cactus League game Thursday against the Chicago White Sox.Koufax leaves campHall of Fame pitcher Sandy Koufax, who has been in the Dodgers’ spring training camp this weekend, released a statement through the team Sunday announcing his formal retirement as a special advisor to Chairman Mark Walter.“I’m 80 years old and I have retired,” the statement read. “I have not quit. I’m still part of the Dodgers’ organization and always will be especially as long as Mark and Kimbra Walter are part of ownership. I will do most of what I have done in the past with no official title. I hope all the players, coaches, manager and everyone else in the clubhouse have successful and healthy seasons with a spectacular ending. See you Opening Day.” Unlike in recent years, Koufax did not speak to reporters on the record during his annual visit to camp, leaving the statement to stand as his only interaction with the press. Koufax was appointed as special advisor prior to the 2013 season and has been a fixture in camp each year, mostly working with pitchers during their bullpen sessions.Dodgers locked inWith the news Sunday that free-agent shortstop Ian Desmond will sign with the Texas Rangers and become a left fielder, the Dodgers will move up a spot in the first round of the 2016 draft once the signing becomes official.Because Desmond rejected the Washington Nationals’ qualifying offer after last season, he will cost the Rangers their first non-protected pick in the draft. That happens to be the 19th overall selection. The Dodgers, who were slated to draft 21st, will now move up a spot and pick 20th.The Dodgers also hold the 32nd pick (compensation for losing free agent pitcher Zack Greinke, who rejected a qualifying offer and signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks) and the 36th pick (compensation for failing to sign pitcher Kyle Funkhouser after last year’s draft) in the June draft.Only the Cardinals (23, 33, 34) and Padres (8, 23, 24) will make their third pick in the draft before the Dodgers. GLENDALE, Ariz. — On April 5, 2010, Vicente Padilla started for the Dodgers against the Pittsburgh Pirates. That’s notable for a handful of reasons. It was Opening Day, the only time in the past nine years when the Dodgers began their season against a non-NL West opponent.It was also the last time someone other than Clayton Kershaw started Opening Day for the Dodgers.Kershaw will start April 4 in San Diego, his sixth consecutive Opening Day start, manager Dave Roberts told reporters Sunday at Camelback Ranch.That lines up the left-hander to start April 9 in San Francisco and make his home debut either April 14 against the Arizona Diamondbacks or April 15 against the Giants. The Dodgers have an off-day April 11 and their home opener is April 12 against the San Francisco Giants, so Roberts might choose to give Kershaw an extra day of rest.center_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more

Wednesday June 3rd KGLO Morning News

first_imgListen to the KGLO Morning News from Wednesday June 3rd KGLO News · Wednesday June 3 — 7:11 AMlast_img