Antique eyes pork ban from Mindanao

first_img“The provinces of Iloilo and Aklaninitially declared a ban on the swine, pork, pork products, and its by-productslast Feb. 5,” Marcelino said in an interview Friday. The province of NegrosOccidental followed thereafter. Dr. Marco Rafael D. Ardamil, head ofthe ProVet Public Health Division, said that he discovered during their meetingwith the Department of Agriculture on Feb. 6 that the provinces of Iloilo,Negros Occidental and Aklan have already declared the ban due to the reportedcases of the swine fever in Don Marcelino, Davao recently. The hog population in Antique isestimated to be at 73,000, and most of them are backyard-raised.(With a report from PNA/PN) Ardamil said that another Executive Orderis set to be signed by Governor Rhodora J. Chadio to spare the hog industry inthe province from the swine fever. To recall, Antique also banned theentry of the same products for the same reason from Luzon last year.center_img SAN JOSE, Antique – The ProvincialVeterinary Office (ProVet) of this province is proposing to ban the entry oflive pigs, pork, and other pork-based products from Mindanao for Antique tomaintain its African swine fever-free status. Antique eyes to remain African swine fever- free for pork products by proposing an Executive order that would ban the entry of live pigs and all pork products from Mindanao. PNA “The EO banning live swine, pork, andby-products from Luzon is still in effect until now,” he said.last_img read more