Former St Helens player Scott Moore jailed after fighting off Taser officers

first_imgA former England rugby league international who fought off police officers for nearly an hour despite being Tasered six times has been jailed for 23 months.The 50,000-volt stun gun was used on Scott Moore repeatedly but the 30-year-old, whose playing career was chequered with indiscipline, kept rising to his feet to charge at police, Bolton crown court was told.Moore, who became the youngest Super League player when he appeared for his home-town club, St Helens, aged 16, grunted and growled at officers, who struggled to arrest him for 50 minutes after a 150mph car chase.As the 15st, 5ft 10in former St Helens hooker fought them off he managed to grab the stun gun, pointing it in the face of one officer and snarling: “You’re getting it now!”The officer fought with Moore to release it from his hand and another officer struck him numerous times. Moore, capped twice by England during a career that included stints with Castleford, Huddersfield, the London Broncos and NRL club North Queensland Cowboys, eventually dropped the stun gun and following a further struggle he was detained. Share on Messenger Reuse this content Share on WhatsApp Share on Facebook … we have a small favour to ask. More people, like you, are reading and supporting the Guardian’s independent, investigative journalism than ever before. And unlike many news organisations, we made the choice to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay.The Guardian will engage with the most critical issues of our time – from the escalating climate catastrophe to widespread inequality to the influence of big tech on our lives. At a time when factual information is a necessity, we believe that each of us, around the world, deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart.Our editorial independence means we set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Guardian journalism is free from commercial and political bias and not influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This means we can give a voice to those less heard, explore where others turn away, and rigorously challenge those in power.We hope you will consider supporting us today. We need your support to keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable. Support The Guardian from as little as $1 – and it only takes a minute. Thank you. news A new dawn: how a new coach can impact an NRL club Rugby league Read morecenter_img Topics The defendant, of Lowton in Greater Manchester, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and three counts of assault. He was jailed for one year and 11 months, and disqualified from driving for two years.The court was told that in the early hours of 15 October 2016 two officers from Greater Manchester Police were on patrol in an unmarked vehicle, driving along Chaddock Lane towards Boothstown. They saw a black Mercedes travelling towards them at speed, heading on to the A580 East Lancashire Road, in the direction of Liverpool, and instructed the driver to pull over. Instead of coming to a halt, the Mercedes accelerated and sped off in the direction of Leigh, sparking a pursuit.Dashcam footage from the police vehicle captured the Mercedes overtaking a lorry at 100mph on a stretch of roadworks – which had a speed limit of 30mph – before continuing to accelerate along the A580 at speeds of more than 150mph. Moore then sped into a housing estate in Leigh, collided with the wall of a house.The pursuit continued until it reached a dead end on Arrow Street but as one officer went to arrest the suspect, Moore elbowed him and ran off. Officers caught up with Moore but he resisted arrest for almost an hour, fighting them off until they were able to handcuff him.At one point an officer had him in a headlock and delivered a stun directly to his body but Moore was still able to fight them off and even grabbed the wires from the stun gun, which had been deployed, ripping them from his body.Outside court DC Lynsey Watson-Perry, of GMP’s Wigan borough, said: “Moore knew exactly what he was doing, using his size and experience on the rugby field to evade officers in a desperate struggle that threatened both the safety of officers and innocent members of the public. Whatever level of force he is used to displaying on the pitch, this was not a game – people’s lives were in danger and an officer had to undergo surgery.”Moore last played for Bradford Bulls before being released at the end of last season. Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share on Pinterest Support The Guardian Share via Email Since you’re here…last_img read more