News IranMiddle East – North Africa IranMiddle East – North Africa Reporters Without Borders today condemned judicial harassment of journalists who cover demonstrations. Four have been tried by revolutionary tribunals in recent weeks, three of them receiving prison sentences. Others are awaiting trial or the announcement of the court’s verdict.“We are dismayed by these sentences,” the press freedom organisation said. “These journalists just did their duty to report the news and have been convicted for political reasons. If there is a political activity in Iran, the media must cover it. But once again, brute force is the government’s only response.”A revolutionary tribunal in the city of Sanandaj, in Iran’s Kurdish northwestern region, sentenced Ejlal Ghavami of Payam-e mardom-e Kurdistan (a weekly that has been closed by the authorities since 2004) to three years in prison on 9 June for “inciting revolt” and “undermining national security.” Freelance journalist Said Saedi was sentenced to two and a half years in prison on the same charges. The same tribunal sentenced Roya Toloui, the editor of the newspaper Resan, to six months in prison on 22 May. Her newspapers has been closed since 2005.All three journalists were arrested while covering a peaceful demonstration outside the prefect’s office in Sanandaj on 30 July 2005 and were held for several months before being freed on bail. Tolui is now abroad. Saedi and Ghavami still live in Iran. They say that whenever they have tried to work for a newspaper since 2005, its editors have been harassed by the intelligence agencies.Condemning their conviction and sentences, their lawyer, Nemat Ahamdi, told Reporters Without Borders: “They are journalists, and it is normal for journalists to be out on the streets doing their job and going to places where there are demonstrations. This conviction is unacceptable and we are going to appeal.”Aso Salah of the weekly Disgah has meanwhile been summoned to appear before the Sanandaj court on 16 June. He was arrested by intelligence operatives on 8 March after covering an International Women’s Day demonstration, and was released on 18 March after paying 100 million toumen (85,000 euros) in bail.In Tehran, Bahaman Ahmadi Amoee of the daily Sarmayeh was summoned and tried on 6 June by the revolutionary court’s 13th division on charges of “participating in an illegal demonstration,” “undermining national security” and “publicity against the Islamic Republic.” The verdict is pending. He was arrested along with two other journalists while covering a feminist movement’s demonstration against “sexual apartheid in Iran” on 22 June 2006.Kia Jahani of Kurdistan TV, who was arrested for no clear reason in the city of Marivan on 24 February, was freed on bail at the start of May.President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Ayatollah Khamenei are both on the Reporters Without Borders list of the world’s 34 worst press freedom predators. RSF_en Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists News Receive email alerts Organisation Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 to go further News News March 18, 2021 Find out more June 9, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Iran After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists February 25, 2021 Find out more June 13, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Courts pass jail sentences on journalists for covering demonstrations
News Two journalists murdered just days apart in Venezuela Receive email alerts After negotiations with the authorities, the 110-year-old newspaper El Impulso has obtained a last-minute delivery of newsprint that will allow it to keep publishing. A paper shortage resulting from government currency controls has so far forced 37 newspapers to suspend or reduce their print editions.Venezuela’s oldest daily, El Impulso had announced on 10 September that its 15 September issue would be the last until the newsprint shortage was resolved. The newspaper had previously taken various measures to eke out its paper supplies for as long as possible.The agreement under which El Impulso will receive “emergency” newsprint supplies was reached in negotiations between its management and Corporación Maneiro, an entity in charge of newsprint distribution that reports to the president’s office. The National Press Workers Union acted as mediator.The agreement does not however guarantee the daily’s long-term survival and further negotiations are planned with the aim of securing a regular newsprint supply.“The possibility of an ‘emergency’ supply of newsprint shows that the shortage affecting the press depends on the government’s will,” said Camille Soulier, the head of the Reporters Without Borders Americas desk.“Pluralism and freedom of information, already hard hit in Venezuela, are being further weakened by the newsprint shortage, which is an indirect form of censorship. All of the newspapers that have had to reduce or suspend production must immediately benefit from the same measures, regardless of their editorial policies.”President Nicolás Maduro’s government is hostile towards opposition media and has undertaken a series of legal reforms and acquisitions that have increased the number of pro-government media. Designed to gag the often rabid opposition, these measure have just fuelled the existing polarization.Venezuela is ranked 116th out of 180 countries in the 2014 Reporters Without Borders press freedom index. New wave of censorship targeting critical media outlets RSF_en to go further Help by sharing this information August 25, 2020 Find out more News VenezuelaAmericas News Follow the news on Venezuela Organisation VenezuelaAmericas September 12, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Around 40 Venezuelan newspapers hit by newsprint shortage January 13, 2021 Find out more News Coronavirus “information heroes” – journalism that saves lives June 15, 2020 Find out more
The awards – France’s equivalent of theOscars – have been mired in controversy after Polanski’s An Officer and a Spyreceived 12 nominations. The Polish-French director fled the USafter his rape conviction in the 1970s.He has since faced other accusations of sexual assault. French actress Adèle Haenel was one of several actresses to leave the César awards after Polanski was hailed as best director. GETTY IMAGES PARIS, France – Several actresses havewalked out of the César awards ceremony here after Roman Polanski, who wasconvicted of the statutory rape of a 13 year old in 1977, won best director. Polanski and members of his crew did notattend the event, with the director having said previously that he feared forhis safety.(BBC) An Officer and a Spy, or J’accuse inFrench, is about the Dreyfus affair in 19th Century France and won a total ofthree awards on Friday night.
Swansea were second-best for long periods and the manner of the performance will not convince the doubters that manager Monk can stop the club’s alarming slide. But at least Monk’s men showed plenty of spirit after Joshua King and Dan Gosling had fired Bournemouth into a commanding lead after 26 minutes to give the Cherries hope of a first win in eight games. Andre Ayew came to Garry Monk’s rescue as Swansea fought back from a two-goal deficit to draw 2-2 with Bournemouth at the Liberty Stadium. Ayew pulled a goal back within two minutes of Gosling’s strike with a classy back-heel and then won a penalty, albeit in dubious circumstances, which Jonjo Shelvey stroked home before the break. Monk had responded to Swansea’s run of one win in nine games by making four changes – regulars Federico Fernandez, Jefferson Montero, Gylfi Sigurdsson and Bafetimbi Gomis all dropping out – but the hosts were out of sorts and a long way removed from the side which finished eighth last season. Bournemouth’s bright start was rewarded after 10 minutes when Kyle Bartley’s attempted clearance struck Ki Sung-yueng and fell into the path of Junior Stanislas. The winger intelligently cut the ball back for an unmarked King to finish for his first goal since February and his first for the Cherries in 13 attempts. Swansea hit back instantly and Adam Federici was forced to deny Wayne Routledge and Eder in quick succession but Bournemouth were creating danger almost at will. Leon Britton’s slip allowed King to bear down on goal and Lukasz Fabianski saved and Stanislas saw his effort rightly ruled out for offside. But there was no escape for Swansea when Charlie Daniels surged through a timid Swansea midfield and Gosling helped it onto Matt Ritchie. Swansea seemed as if they had stopped the danger but Ritchie picked out Gosling who finished with a delightful shot high past Fabianski. Press Association There were jeers in the stands but two minutes later they turned to cheers as Daniels climbed above Eder to meet Neil Taylor’s cross but only directed it towards Shelvey. The England midfielder headed it forward to Ayew who had stayed onside to cleverly back-heel the ball past Federici for his sixth Swansea goal. Ayew was also heavily involved in Swansea’s equaliser as referee Andre Marriner felt Simon Francis had brought him down in the penalty area, despite the Ghanaian appearing to trip himself. Shelvey stepped up to plant the ball firmly past Federici’s outstretched left hand and Swansea were incredibly level after being disjointed for so much of the first period. Bournemouth could count themselves unlucky to be level but they continued to take the game to Swansea in the second half with Harry Arter testing Fabianski from distance and Steve Cook flashing wide a far-post volley. Swansea briefly stirred towards the end when Montero made an impact from the bench, but Bournemouth will leave south Wales feeling they let two points slip through their grasp. TWEET OF THE MATCH 26 mins Swansea 0 – 2 Bournemouth. 38 mins Swansea 2 – 2 Bournemouth. Well that escalated quickly… #SWABOU – Bookmakers Ladbrokes (@Ladbrokes) on the hectic 12-minute turnaround from Swansea Swansea Lukasz Fabianski: 6 (out of 10) Kyle Naughton: 5 Ashley Williams: 5 Kyle Bartley: 5 Neil Taylor: 5 Leon Britton: 5 Ki Sung-yueng: 5 Jonjo Shelvey: 6 Wayne Routledge: 5 Andre Ayew: 7 Eder: 6 Substitutes Jefferson Montero: 6 Gylfi Sigurdsson: 6 Bafetimbi Gomis: 6 Bournemouth Adam Federici: 6 Simon Francis: 8 Steve Cook: 7 Sylvain Distin: 7 Charlie Daniels: 7 Dan Gosling: 7 Andrew Surman: 7 Harry Arter: 8 Junior Stanislas: 8 Matt Richie: 7 Joshua King: 7 Substitutes Adam Smith: 6 Glenn Murray: 6 Shaun MacDonald: 6 STAR MAN Harry Arter: Strong midfield presence as Bournemouth enjoyed long periods of supremacy and kept Swansea on the backfoot with his perpetual motion. Always probed for an opening and not afraid to shoot from distance, testing Lukasz Fabianski in the Swansea goal with one firm second-half effort. MOMENT OF THE MATCH Difficult to pick out one in a contest of so many attacking moments but Andre Ayew’s backheel summed up the Ghanaian’s class. Shelvey’s header came to him quickly but the finish was instinctive and powerful enough to give Adam Federici no chance in the Cherries goal. Also silenced the Swansea natives who were restless after falling 2-0 behind. VIEW FROM THE BENCH Swansea manager Garry Monk was facing what many felt was a defining day with his job under increasing scrutiny after a desperate run of one win in nine games. Monk must have feared the worst after falling 2-0 down but Ayew got them back in the game and they got a break with the penalty. Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe must wonder how they failed to pick up three points after a dominant display, but will no doubt have been pleased with the performance from the first minute to the last. MOAN OF THE MATCH Sounds picky after such an entertaining contest which had the crowd on their feet throughout, but the standard of defending by both sides left a lot to be desired. Swansea’s centre-backs Ashley Williams and Kyle Bartley looked what they were, an unfamiliar partnership, and if Bournemouth’s defence were better than the hosts they also had their uncomfortable moments. WHO’S UP NEXT? Liverpool v Swansea, November 29 (Premier League) Bournemouth v Everton, November 28 (Premier League)