Vietnamese boy dies of avian flu

first_imgMar 18, 2008 (CIDRAP News) – An 11-year-old boy in northern Vietnam died recently of H5N1 avian influenza amid an ongoing spate of bird outbreaks in the country, according to news services and the World Health Organization (WHO).The boy, from Thanh Liem district in Ha Nam province, became ill Mar 4 and died Mar 14, the WHO said in a statement today. Counting his illness, Vietnam has had 106 human H5N1 cases with 52 deaths. The WHO’s global count has reached 373 cases and 236 deaths.An Associated Press (AP) report yesterday said the boy’s family raises chickens, some of which got sick in late February. After some of the birds died, the family killed and ate one of the remaining ones, the director of the provincial health department told the AP.Vietnam has had five human H5N1 cases so far this year, all of them fatal. The last case was in a 23-year-old woman from Phu Tho province who fell ill in mid-February and died Feb 25, according to the WHO. A Xinhua report yesterday said a woman from the same district as the 11-year-old boy died of H5N1 disease in June 2007.Yesterday, Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung criticized farmers for failing to report poultry outbreaks and for eating sick and dead birds, the AP reported. He said the eating of infected birds had caused the four previous deaths this year. Thirteen provinces have had bird outbreaks since the start of the year, the story said.In other developments, the Hong Kong Department of Health recently confirmed that the viruses that killed two children in Hong Kong’s current seasonal flu epidemic were not novel strains.Gene sequencing showed that a 7-year-old boy who died had the Brisbane strain of influenza A/H1N1, and a 3-year-old girl had the Brisbane strain of A/H3N2, the health department said in a Mar 14 statement. Both strains have been circulating in various parts of the world in recent months.Last week Hong Kong officials closed all primary schools and kindergarten/child-care centers because of the growing seasonal flu epidemic. The 2-week closure began Mar 13.See also: Mar 18 WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2008_03_18/en/index.htmlMar 14 Hong Kong Department of Health statementhttp://www.dh.gov.hk/english/press/2008/080314-2.htmllast_img read more

Trump to sign executive order after threatening to shutter social media

first_imgTwitter’s slap on the wrist was enough to drive Trump into a tirade — on Twitter — in which he claimed that the political right in the United States was being censored.Trump would sign an executive order “pertaining to social media” on Thursday, his aides said, without offering any details.But an undated draft version of the order obtained by The Washington Post on Wednesday said “we cannot allow a limited number of online platforms to hand-pick the speech that Americans may access and convey online.”The order would make it easier for federal regulators to argue that the companies are “suppressing free speech when they move to suspend users or delete posts,” The New York Times reported, citing two senior administration officials. US President Donald Trump is expected to sign an executive order later on Thursday after threatening to shutter social media platforms following Twitter’s move to label two of his tweets misleading. After long resisting calls to censure Trump over his truth-defying posts, Twitter on Tuesday accused the president for the first time of making false claims.Trump had tweeted — without any evidence — that more mail-in voting would lead to what he called a “Rigged Election” this November. Both newspapers also reported that the order, which they said had not yet been finalized, could see tech companies such as Twitter, Facebook and Google held legally responsible for content posted on their platforms.Twitter’s move to tag the president’s tweets comes after years of being accused of ignoring the president’s violation of platform rules with his daily, often hourly barrages of personal insults and inaccurate information sent to more than 80 million followers.Facebook chief Mark Zuckerberg waded into the row, telling Fox News that his social network — still the biggest in the world — has a different policy.”I just believe strongly that Facebook should not be the arbiter of truth of everything that people say online,” Zuckerberg said in a snippet of the interview posted online Wednesday by Fox.”I think, in general, private companies, especially these platform companies, shouldn’t be in the position of doing that.”Twitter founder and CEO Jack Dorsey fired back on Wednesday night, saying that his platform’s effort to point out misinformation did not make it an “arbiter of truth.” Fact check: there is someone ultimately accountable for our actions as a company, and that’s me. Please leave our employees out of this. We’ll continue to point out incorrect or disputed information about elections globally. And we will admit to and own any mistakes we make.— jack (@jack) May 28, 2020″Our intention is to connect the dots of conflicting statements and show the information in dispute so people can judge for themselves,” he tweeted. He doubled down on the new policy, writing: “Fact check: there is someone ultimately accountable for our actions as a company, and that’s me… We’ll continue to point out incorrect or disputed information about elections globally.”‘Blatant lies’ Kate Ruane, at the American Civil Liberties Union, said that Trump has no power to regulate Twitter.The constitution “clearly prohibits the president from taking any action to stop Twitter from pointing out his blatant lies about voting by mail,” she said.For all his protests, Trump is a political giant on social media.By contrast, his Democratic election opponent, Joe Biden, has only 5.5 million Twitter followers.Social media suits Trump’s unorthodox communications style and his penchant for conspiracy theories, rumors and playground-style insults.The claim that Twitter is biased against conservatives fits the White House narrative that the billionaire president is still an outsider politician running against the elite.The row is also a useful smokescreen when Biden is homing in on widespread dissatisfaction with Trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic, which has left more than 100,000 Americans dead. Polls consistently show Biden in a strong position, despite barely having left his home during weeks of social distancing measures — and his relatively meager social media presence.Topics :last_img read more

Leicester determined to keep Mahrez

first_imgTransfers Leicester determined to keep Mahrez from Liverpool and Arsenal, insists Puel Harry Sherlock Last updated 1 year ago 08:25 1/15/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Riyad Mahrez Leicester City Getty Images Transfers Arsenal Riyad Mahrez Chelsea v Leicester City Leicester City Liverpool Premier League African All Stars The Algeria international has been linked with the Reds and the Gunners, but the Foxes manager is confident of keeping the Algerian winger Leicester City are committed to keeping Riyad Mahrez at the club beyond the January transfer window, according to manager Claude Puel.The Algeria international, a key member of the Foxes’ title-winning side of 2015-16, has been in a rich vein of form recently, directly contributing to eight goals – five goals, three assists – in his last 10 Premier League appearances.Mahrez’s contract runs until 2020, but he has been linked with both Liverpool and Arsenal in recent weeks. Both clubs are looking to replace departed, or departing, stars, with Philippe Coutinho having joined Barcelona and Alexis Sanchez set to move to Manchester United ahead of Manchester City. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player However, Puel is committed to retaining Mahrez’s services, and believes the Algeria international is “enjoying his football” at the King Power Stadium.“He has a fantastic influence on the team, a valuable player for the team,” Puel said, per The Guardian. “We can see he is enjoying his football and is happy with his team-mates and with us. It’s important for us to keep our best players.”The good ambition for him is to continue this hard work, to show his consistency game after game, until the end of the season. He has come back at a good level: he is clinical, with assists, with goals, and it’s important he continues this work and shows people the player he is, without the ball, with it. He is making progress. It’s a good thing of course, (if) he continues all season with us.”Mahrez has not yet made any moves to agitate for a transfer, and Puel is unworried about the prospect of him doing so.“It’s not a question in our mind. All the noise is just speculation,” he added. “Of course we are in the transfer window and it’s normal for all the best players [to be linked with transfers], but I’m not afraid about this because there’s a fantastic spirit and good attitude in this squad.“I have confidence in Riyad. We spoke a lot with him, [about] different things, and often about football, because he likes football a lot. He is now with good maturity, good experience of life, and we can see this in this game.”last_img read more